The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. The quality or condition of being grand; magnificence: "The world is charged with the grandeur of God” ( Gerard Manley Hopkins).
- n. Nobility or greatness of character.
Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. The state of being grand or splendid; magnificence.
- n. Nobility.
- n. Greatness; largeness; tallness; loftiness.
the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. The state or quality of being grand; vastness; greatness; splendor; magnificence; stateliness; sublimity; dignity; elevation of thought or expression; nobility of action.
The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. The character of being grand or great; specifically, that quality or combination of qualities in an object whieh affects the imagination with a sense of sublimity or magnificence.
- n. Synonyms Greatness, majesty, loftiness, stateliness, state, dignity, augustness, splendor, pomp, sublimity. See grand.
WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. the quality of elevation of mind and exaltation of character or ideals or conduct
- n. the quality of being magnificent or splendid or grand
" What the wine lacked in grandeur was more than made up for in the label's hand drawn charm. "