The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- adj. Not significant, especially:
- adj. Lacking in importance; trivial.
- adj. Lacking power, position, or value; worthy of little regard.
- adj. Small in size or amount.
- adj. Having little or no meaning.
Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- adj. Not significant; not important, consequential, or having a noticeable effect.
the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- adj. Not significant; void of signification, sense, or import; meaningless.
- adj. Having no weight or effect; answering no purpose; unimportant; valueless; futile.
- adj. Without weight of character or social standing; mean; contemptible.
The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Not significant; void of signification; without meaning.
- Answering no purpose; having no weight or effect; unimportant; trivial.
- Without weight of character; mean; contemptible: as, an insignificant fellow.
WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- adj. devoid of importance, meaning, or force
- adj. signifying nothing
- adj. not worthy of notice
- adj. of little importance or influence or power; of minor status
" _insignificant_ persons; 'consequently, had it been any fault to do so, each alike was caught in that fault; and insignificant as the people might be, if they _could_ be' immortalized, 'then we have Schlosser himself confessing to the possibility that poetic splendor should create a secondary interest where originally there had been none. "