The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- adj. Brilliant with light or color; radiant: a splendid field of poppies.
- adj. Imposing by reason of showiness or grandeur; magnificent: splendid costumes.
- adj. Admired by many; illustrious: splendid achievements.
- adj. Admirable for boldness or purity; surpassing: splendid character.
- adj. Very good or satisfying; praiseworthy: a splendid performance in the examinations.
Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- adj. Possessing or displaying splendor; shining; very bright; as, a splendid sun.
- adj. Showy; magnificent; sumptuous; pompous; as, a splendid palace; a splendid procession or pageant.
- adj. Illustrious; heroic; brilliant; celebrated; famous; as, a splendid victory or reputation.
the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- adj. Possessing or displaying splendor; shining; very bright.
- adj. Showy; magnificent; sumptuous; pompous
- adj. Illustrious; heroic; brilliant; celebrated; famous.
The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Shining; brilliant; specifically, in entomology, having brilliant metallic colors; splendent.
- Brilliant; dazzling; gorgeous; sumptuous: as, a splendid palace; a splendid procession.
- Conspicuous; illustrious; grand; heroic; brilliant; noble; glorious: as, a splendid victory; a splendid reputation.
- Very fine; excellent; extremely good: as, a splendid chance to make a fortune.
- Synonyms Magnificent, Superb, etc. See grand.
- Eminent, remarkable, distinguished, famous.
WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- adj. having great beauty and splendor
- adj. characterized by grandeur
- adj. very good;of the highest quality
" That was as splendid as this, but it wasn't as _splendid_ splendid. "