The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. The boyfriend of a woman or girl.
- n. A dandy; a fop.
Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A man with a reputation for fine dress and etiquette; a dandy or fop.
- n. A male lover; a boyfriend.
- n. A male escort.
the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. A man who takes great care to dress in the latest fashion; a dandy.
- n. A man who escorts, or pays attentions to, a lady; an escort; a suitor or lover.
The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Good; fair: used especially in address: as, “beau sir,” See beausire, beaupere, etc.
- n. (bōz).
- n. One who is very neat and particular about his dress, and fond of ornaments and jewelry; a fop; a dandy: now most often said of a man of middle age or older: as, he is an old beau.
- n. A man who is suitor to or is attentive to a lady; a lover; a swain.
- n. Synonyms Dandy, Exquisite, etc. See coxcomb.
- To act the beau to; attend or escort (a lady).
WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a man who is much concerned with his dress and appearance
- n. a man who is the lover of a girl or young woman
" 'There is, of course, no one I should prefer to _le beau capitaine_ -- there is no one to whom I would confide my Olive more willingly; but, then, one must look to other things; one cannot live entirely on love, even if it be the love of a _beau capitaine_.' "