The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- adj. Characterized by greatness of scope or intent; grand. See Synonyms at grand.
- adj. Characterized by feigned or affected grandeur; pompous.
Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- adj. large and impressive, in size, scope or extent
- adj. pompous or pretentious
the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- adj. Impressive or elevating in effect; imposing; splendid; striking; -- in a good sense.
- adj. Characterized by affectation of grandeur or splendor; flaunting; turgid; bombastic; -- in a bad sense.
The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Impressive from inherent grandeur; grand in effect; magnificent; imposing.
- Characterized by self-display or bombast; vulgarly showy or flaunting; grandiloquent; swollen; turgid: as, a grandiose style.
WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- adj. affectedly genteel
- adj. impressive because of unnecessary largeness or grandeur; used to show disapproval
" But Wednesday's speech - which Gingrich himself called "grandiose" - could actually resonate politically in Florida, where space exploration is good politics 14 miles away from Cape Canaveral. "