Acceptable For Game Play - US & UK word lists

This word is acceptable for play in the US & UK dictionaries that are being used in the following games:

The American HeritageĀ® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
  • n. A narrow, generally cylindrical implement for writing, drawing, or marking, consisting of a thin rod of graphite, colored wax, or similar substance encased in wood or held in a mechanical holder.
  • n. Something shaped or used like a pencil, especially a narrow medicated or cosmetic stick: an eyebrow pencil.
  • n. A style or technique in drawing or delineating.
  • n. Descriptive skill: "His characters are drawn with a strong pencilā€ ( Henry Hallam).
  • n. An artist's brush, especially a fine one.
  • n. Physics A beam of radiant energy in the form of a narrow cone or cylinder.
  • n. Mathematics A family of geometric objects, such as lines, that have a common property, such as passage through a given line in a given plane.
  • v. To write or produce by using a pencil.
  • v. To mark or color with or as if with a pencil.
  • phrasal-verb. pencil in To schedule tentatively: penciled in a staff meeting for 3:00.
  • phrasal-verb. pencil in To schedule a tentative appointment with: penciled him in for lunch next Monday.
  • Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
  • n. A paintbrush.
  • n. Writing utensil that uses graphite (commonly referred to as lead). Regular pencils usually have a graphite shaft surrounded by wood. Also available in a mechanical version where the graphite length can be adjusted and sharpening is not needed.
  • n. A family of geometric objects with a common property, such as the set of lines that pass through a given point in a projective plane.
  • v. to write something using a pencil
  • v. To tentatively make a booking or appointment.
  • the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
  • n. A small, fine brush of hair or bristles used by painters for laying on colors.
  • n. A slender cylinder or strip of black lead, graphite, colored chalk, slate etc., or such a cylinder or strip inserted in a small wooden rod intended to be pointed, or in a case, which forms a handle, -- used for drawing or writing. See Graphite.
  • n. Hence, figuratively, an artist's ability or peculiar manner; also, in general, the act or occupation of the artist, descriptive writer, etc.
  • n. An aggregate or collection of rays of light, especially when diverging from, or converging to, a point.
  • n. A number of lines that intersect in one point, the point of intersection being called the pencil point.
  • n. A small medicated bougie.
  • v. To write or mark with a pencil; to paint or to draw.
  • The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
  • n. A small fine brush, such as may be used by a painter in laying on paints; technically, a special type of pointed brush the hairs of which are held by a quill ferrule with a wooden handle which is often detachable.
  • n. Figuratively, the art of painting; also, skill in painting or delineation; style of delineation.
  • n. An instrument for marking, drawing, or writing, formed of graphite, colored chalk, or a material of similar properties, and having a tapering end; specifically, a thin strip of such substance in closed in a cylinder of soft wood or in a metal case with a tapering end.
  • n. Writing done with a pencil, as distinguished from that done with ink: as, a note written in pencil.
  • n. In optics, all the rays of light which diverge from or converge to a given point.
  • n. In geometry, the figure formed by a number of lines which meet in one point.
  • n. In zoology, a tuft or little brush, as of hair or feathers. Also called penicillium.
  • n. See the adjectives.
  • To paint or draw; execute with a pencil or in pencil; mark with penciling or as with a pencil: as, finely penciled eyebrows.
  • To write with a pencil.
  • n. See pencel.
  • In medicine, to apply a remedy to (an inflamed spot, etc.) with a fine brush: as, to pencil a wound with lunar caustic.
  • WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
  • n. graphite (or a similar substance) used in such a way as to be a medium of communication
  • n. a figure formed by a set of straight lines or light rays meeting at a point
  • n. a cosmetic in a long thin stick; designed to be applied to a particular part of the face
  • n. a thin cylindrical pointed writing implement; a rod of marking substance encased in wood
  • v. write, draw, or trace with a pencil
  • Verb Form
    penciled    penciling    pencilled    pencilling    pencils   
    Words that are more generic or abstract
    graphite    blacklead    plumbago    figure    cosmetic    draw   
    pencilling    pencilled    graphite   
    penciled    pencilled    penciling    pencilling    pencil in   
    Words with the same meaning
    Words with the same terminal sound
    bensel    hensel    tensile   
    Same Context
    Words that are found in similar contexts
    pen    brush    ink    knife    envelope    candle    needle    stick    scissor    handkerchief